FAQ for exchange students


 FAQ for exchange students concerning academic year 2021/22


1. When will the academic offer for the academic year 2021/2022 be published?

The academic offer is published here.

2. How will the winter semester be organized? On campus or online?

We do not have such information yet. It will depend on the decision of the Polish government and the university authorities. 

3. Will the virtual mobilities be accepted?

We do not have such decision yet, however during the spring semester of 2020/2021 we agreed to welcome students with virtual mobilities on the condition that home university accepted such solution. 



FAQ for exchange students concerning academic year 2020/21


1. Has UE Katowice decided to cancel the incoming exchange programme? 

No. Our university has decided to accept exchange students for winter and spring semester 2020/21. 

2. Can winter semester students postpone their mobility to spring semester 2021? Does the sending institution receive additional slots for 2021 spring semester?

Students can postpone their mobility from the winter to spring semester but the sending university will not have the possibility to send more students than the number agreed in the Erasmus+/ bilateral agreement.

3. Do you plan to offer on-campus or online courses in 2020/21?

Following the decision of our Rector, due to the epidemic situation and in order to reduce the spread of covid-19, the classes in 2020/21 at UE Katowice will be provided online till the end of the academic year. 

4. Is UE Katowice planning to organize the Orientation meeting?

Depending on the epidemic situation, the 2020/21 orientation meeting for exchange students will be organized in the form a meeting obeying all the sanitary requirements or it will be held online.

The meeting will include the official welcoming and presentation on the most important issues related to students’ stay at UE Katowice.

A week before the event all incoming student will receive an e-mail with the details of the schedule and arrangements.

5. If classes are provided online, will UE Katowice provide exchange students with laptops/ computers?

Unfortunately we are not able to provide students with laptops or computers. Students shall bring their own devices from home. 

6. Where can I find the latest information concerning situation related to covid-19?

You can check the current updates and information for international students on portal "UE Katowice in the age of coronavirus".  

8. I do not feel well, what should I do?

You need to call the doctor's practice, register yourself and book an appointment. The appointment may be face-to-face or by a phone call. 

You cannot come personally to any doctor's practice if you have temperature or any symptoms typical for covid-19. You shall call the doctor's practice and make an appointment for a phone call visit. 

In order to register yourself you will need:

-your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

-your ID document (passport/ID card/ driving licence)

-your phone number

-your address in Poland

-your address in your home country

You should bring these documents to the doctor's practice before your appointment or in case of a phone call appointment send them scanned by e-mail to the address of the doctor's practice given on their website. 

If you are not a European Union citizen and you have a private health insurance policy, you have to make an appointment for a private visit and your insurance company will cover the costs of the visit.

Here are the examples of doctor's practices in Katowice where staff and doctors speak English:

Mark Med

ul. Stara Kłodnicka 43,  40-703 Katowice-Ligota

tel.+48 (32) 781 87 04,  +48 667 937 572


For English-speaking patients it is advisable to call before 15:30. 

Price of a private visit: 180 PLN


Centrum Medyczne FCM Zdrowie Katowice

ul. Młyńska 23, 40-098 Katowice (city center, near Galeria Katowice)

tel. +48 514 907 515


Price of a private visit: 90-150 PLN


If you do not feel well and you need some information about covid-19 symptoms, night and holiday medical care, the nearest Accident&Emergency or pharmacy you can:

call the Ministry of Health Hotline (24/7), tel. +48 800-190-590 (available in English)  

In case of severe symptoms typical for covid-19 students shall:

  • call the ambulance (dial 112, 999)
  • call Sanitary and Epidemiological Station in Katowice, tel. +48 32 351 23 00

or go directly to the hospital, but only by their own means of transport. The nearest isolation hospitals:

Szpital Specjalistyczny w Chorzowie

ul. Zjednoczenia 10, 41-500 Chorzów

+48 32 34 63 650


Megrez Sp. z o. o.

ul. Edukacji 102, Tychy

+48 32 325 53 04


General FAQ for exchange students


1. How can I become an exchange student at UE Katowice?

You have to be selected by your Home University and nominated by your Home Coordinator to UEK International Relations.

2. Which level of English is required? Do I need to have an official certificate?

All exchange students must have B2 level of their English. We do not require any official language certificate, like FCE, CAE, TOEFL or IELTS, but your English level must be confirmed by your home univeristy on the application form. We trust our partner universities to select students with B2 level of English so that they can follow the classes for exchange students at our university.

3. How can I register for the exchange at UE Katowice?

After being nominated you will receive an e-mail with a personal password with which you will be able to enter the system and register yourself.

4. What are the semester dates?

Please check the academic calendar.

5. When and how I will receive my Acceptance Letter?

Acceptance Letters will be uploaded in the system after the application deadline when all students have registered and uploaded the required signed and stamped documents.

You will receive your Acceptance Letter only when both International Relations and the Coordinator at the School of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies accept you in the system (status “accepted”).

6. Will I receive the acceptance letter  by post to my home address?

Only on your request sent via e-mail.

7. I need to change some information in my online registration form. How should I do it?

Log into your account with the password you got in the e-mail and edit the information on your profile.

8. Do I have to select only courses in my level of study (Bachelor’s or Master’s)?

You can select any courses from our offer as long as they are approved by your Home Coordinator.

9. I have questions concerning the subjects available and the timetable. Who should I contact?

All matters which concern the subjects, changes to the Learning Agreement, number of ECTS, etc., should be addressed to the Coordinator at the School of Undergraduate and Graduate Studies (see the section Contact).

10. I am a winter semester exchange student and I would like to extend my stay at UE Katowice for the summer semester. What does the procedure look like? What should I do?

The deadline is the deadline for application for the summer semeter. After this date you cannot extend your stay. You need to get the approval of your home university and UE Katowice and have the Learning Agreement for the next semester signed and stamped before the end of the application for the summer semester.

11. Does the University of Economics in Katowice offer accommodation in the university dormitories?

Unfortunately university dormitories are closed from the academic year 2019/2020.

12. Will there be a student mentor to support me?

Yes. Approximately one month before your arrival you will receive a mentor to help you with everyday matters and especially upon your arrival in Katowice (you will see his/her contact details in the online application system).  

13. I need support while dealing with the matters in the Dean's Office or I have a feeling that my student rights have been violated. What can I do?

If you have a problem with getting things done in the Dean’s office or you would like to get support in a problematic situation related to the university, the Representative of the Presidium for Foreign Students will do his best to answer every question that bothers you. If you have any problems do not hesitate to contact Filip Szymczyk: filip.szymczyk@ps.uekat.pl.

Tasks of the Representative:

-advising on matters related to respecting student rights contained in the Act, statute of the university and other legal acts

-intervention in the event of violation of student rights

-supporting students in personal matters related to studying and to the university