Mentor or "buddy" is a Polish student who will help international students to get around the university, the city of Katowice and help in everyday life matters. Practical help varies from filling in registration forms, showing how to get somewhere or providing some useful tips, to having a drink in a local pub. Your mentor will always try to help as much as possible. This is a person you contact when you have a problem - your "guardian angel" so to speak.
The mentor's main tasks include:
1. Contacting the incoming student before his/her arrival.
2. Picking up the student from Katowice railway or bus station (not from the airport).
3. Participating in the Orientation Program events.
4. Providing any kind of help needed by the international student.
Orientation Program is organized before each semester. International Relations office together with Polish mentors prepare some events to welcome new exchange students and help them during their first days. Orientation Program is a great opportunity to get to know the university and the city of Katowice better and to integrate with local and other exchange students. Get ready for a great adventure!
The events of the Orientation Program vary each year. The program may include:
- official Welcome Meeting;
- a crash course in Polish;
- some games and competitions;
- a visit to museum;
- a tandem or multilanguage event;
- a pizza&bowling event;
- official Welcome Party in a club;
- a one-day bus trip to a tourist destination near Katowice;
- Global Village Party during which representatives of each country present their typical national food, sweets or drinks.