12.01.2022 12:48 By: Communication Office
Grand Gala celebrating the 85th Anniversary of the University of Economics in Katowice [event coverage]
On January 11, 2022, in the Silesian Opera House, as part of the University Day celebrations, the Grand Gala marking the 85th anniversary of the University of Economics in Katowice was held. During the event statuettes were awarded to the winners of the Champions of UE Katowice Competition. The Gala was accompanied by performances by the Silesian Opera’s artists and the whole event ended with a banquet.
Guests gathered in the Opera House were greeted by Adam Giza, who had the pleasure to host the entire event. At the beginning, the journalist presented a short history of the University, complemented by a multimedia presentation.
The Grand Anniversary Gala was officially opened by the Rector, Prof. Celina M. Olszak, who then received numerous congratulations from the assembled guests. Congratulations were extended by, among others:
- Zbigniew Przedpełski – ber of the Silesian Voivodeship Assembly, who read a letter on behalf of the Marshal of the Silesian Voivodeship Jakub Chełstowski
- Marcin Krupa - Mayor of Katowice
- Mariusz Wołosz – Mayor of Bytom
- Prof. dr hab. Ryszard Koziołek – Rector of University of Silesia in Katowice
- Prof. dr hab. Jan Wojtyła – former Rector of University of Economics in Katowice
- Tomasz Zjawiony – President of Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Tadeusz Koczkowski – President of the Board of the National Association of Protection of Classified Information (Ring of Independence)
- Grzegorz Gajda – Editor-in-Chief of Dziennik Zachodni
During the event, Rector Celina M. Olszak was honored with the Ring of Independence - a prestigious award honoring people of merit for the country's security, who made a significant contribution to public welfare, economic development and the image of the Polish nation. The ceremony was conducted by Tadeusz Koczkowski - President of the Board of National Association for Protection of Classified Information and Beata Drzazga - President of BetaMed S.A.
Then the Rector presented the statues to the winners of the Champions of UE Katowice Competition:
- Champion of Pen Agnieszka Put, Ph.D.
- Champion of Spoken Word: Prof. Wojciech Dyduch, Ph.D.
- Champion of Kindness: Aleksandra Żelaźnicka
- Champion of Art: Prof. Tadeusz Trzaskalik, Ph.D.
- Champion of Style: Prof. Sławomir Smyczek, Ph.D.
- Champion of Sport: Karolina Borys
- Champion of Humor: Prof. Krzysztof Niestrój, Ph.D.
As befits a Champion of Art, after receiving the statuette, Prof. Tadeusz Trzaskalik gave a short artistic performance.
Grand Gala marking the 85th anniversary of the University of Economics in Katowice
After 7 p.m. the opera performance began. It was performed by soloists, choir, ballet and orchestra of the Silesian Opera in Bytom. The following artists were featured: Anna Borucka, Gabriela Gołaszewska, Maciej Komandera, Ewelina Szybilska, Stanisław Kuflyuk, Adam Sobierajski, Dominik Sutowicz, Zbigniew Wunsch, soloists, choir, ballet and orchestra conducted by Tadeusz Kozłowski.
The final point of the event was a formal banquet held in the Adam Didur concert hall, during which a surprise performance took place - a song entitled "There are no more real universities these days" sung by Edyta Listek (HR Development Office). The author pf the song’s lyrics was Prof. Robert Wolny.
The Gala was organized in collaboration with the Silesian Opera in Bytom as part of the celebrations of the University Day.