Visa & residence


If you are a citizen of an EU member state the only thing you need to have to enter Poland is a valid travel document or a document confirming identity and citizenship (i.e. your national ID).

However, if you wish to travel abroad during your stay in Poland it is a good idea to have a passport with you, as it is necessary to visit some of Poland’s neighbours that don’t belong to the EU.

For a stay shorter than three months there are no formal requirements. Your studies will however take longer. For such a stay a registration of residence is necessary. You should register with Voivodship (Provincial) Office within 90 days of your arrival. You will be issued a cost-free certificate of registration with non-limited period of validity proving your right to stay in Poland. For detailed information check out the Voivodship Office’s website

Contact: 32 2077327,

The documents must be submitted to:

Oddział do Spraw Cudzoziemców Wydziału Spraw Obywatelskich i Cudzoziemców, ul. Jagiellońska 25, 40-032 Katowice, tel. 32 2077920, 32 2077922, room 161, stand 19




To enter Poland if are not a EU citizen you need a valid travel document (passport) and a visa (if required).


As a general rule you need a visa to enter Poland. 

Poland is a part of the Schengen zone, so you can apply for a Polish visa and travel all around Europe (excluding the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and states outside of the EU).

  • “D” type visa – a long-term national visa issued for up to one year allowing travel around the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180 days period A visa can only be extended in exceptional situations. Should you need to stay in Poland longer than specified in your visa please do apply for the temporary residence permit

5 steps to get a visa

1) Find a Polish consulate that can process you application.

2) Read carefully ALL the information concerning visa application on the consulate’s website and follow ALL the instructions.

3) Set a visa appointment with the consulate.

4) Prepare the necessary documents.

5) Submit all the documents including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee. Your visa application is complete. It will take up to 15 days for it to be reviewed.

Temporary residence permit

You should apply for a Temporary Residence Permit before your visa expires.

When you receive the permit you will be issued a Temporary Residence Card, an ID card that proves that you have a residence permit. The first residence permit is issued for the period of 15 months. It can be renewed for periods of up to 3 years but for no longer than the remainder of your studies.

You should apply for the Temporary Residence Card when you are legally staying in Poland, which means after you arrive, but before the expiry of your visa