History

3rd December 1936 formal establishment of the School of Social-Economic Sciences
11th January 1937the beginning of teaching at the Faculty of Industrial Organization
1938/1939 the beginning of education at the Faculty of Public Administration (the first seat of the University during the years 1936-1946 were the rooms of the Silesian Technical Research Institutes)
1st September 1939 outbreak of war and occupation forces ceasing the functioning of the School
1945resuming operation of the School; teaching at both Faculties
29th September 1946 inauguration of the academic year in the new seat (two own buildings: former town hall of the town commune of Zawodzie – present Vice-Chancellor’s Office and present “A” building)
1946-1948 starting, at the order of the Minister of Industry and Trade an annual Central Economic Control School
1948 establishing the Faculty of Trade
1949 nationalizing the School and changing the name into the National School of Economic Administration; Faculty of Public Administration put into liquidation
1950 transforming into the School of Economy and unification of curricula; ceasing teaching at the Faculty of Trade; top-down relocation of students to the established Faculty of Finance and Accounting (it was functioning until 1958); the name of the Faculty of Industrial Organization was changed into the Faculty of Industry Planning.
1952/1953obtaining the right to confer the master’s degree on the alumni of the University
1958-1968the University has one-faculty structure (the Faculty of Industry) which educates on the basis of full-time studies, evening studies, extramural studies and extension studies; a network of consultation points was created in Opole, Bielsko (1966 – Research-Teaching Centre in Bielsko), Częstochowa and Rybnik.
1960the Faculty of Industry is granted the right to confer the title of the doctor
1968 establishing the Faculty of Trade and Nutrition Economics
1969the Faculty of Trade is granted the right to confer the title of the Ph.D. hab. (in Polish: doktor habilitowany) in Economic Sciences
1972 giving the School of Economics the name of Karol Adamiecki, an outstanding engineer and economist, a scientist and activist, Polish co-creator of science of organization and management
1974changing the name of the School of Economics to Academy of Economics; transforming the Faculty of Trade and Nutrition Economics into the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services
1979 the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services is granted the right to confer the title of Doctor of Economy
1970s and 80s constructing the complex of new buildings creating an academic centre (buildings: B, D, E, C, F)
1991 the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services is granted the right to confer the title of Ph.D. hab. (in Polish: doktor habilitowany) in Economic Sciences
1992the Faculty of Management is set up in place of the of the Faculty of Industry, and in place of the Faculty of Trade, Transport and Services  the Faculty of Economy is set up
11th October 1994purchasing the building at ul. Pułaskiego 25 – “P” building (23rd November 1999 – purchase of undeveloped plots); official opening of the building – December 1999
October 1998 Palace-Park Complex in Młoszowa is given to the Karol Adamiecki Academy of Economics in Katowice
2002 setting up the Faculty of Finance and Insurance; starting teaching in Rybnik Research-Teaching Centre
26th August 2005the State Treasury gives the Karol Adamiecki Academy of Economics in Katowice the building at ul. ks. bpa St. Adamskiego 7 - "N" building (October 2005 – first classes in the building)
2009 establishing the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication
2010 the Faculty of Information Technology and Communication is granted the right to confer the degree of PhD
1st October 2010on the basis of the Act as of 5th August 2010 the Academy is given the name of the “University of Economics in Katowice”