The address of the Office is: 1 Maja Street No 50. It is located in the old municipal building of Bogucice-Zawodzie (a district of Zawodzie) and was erected between 1911 and 1913. The construction was funded by, among others, owners of production plants operating in Bogucice, a mining and smelting company of Katowice (Spółka Akcyjna dla Górnictwa i Hutnictwa), as well as taxpayers of the industrial areas of Bogucice and Zawodzie. Their funds were used to erect one of the unquestionably most impressive municipality buildings in the Upper Silesian Industrial Region.
The building was designed by a Berlin architect – Arnold Hartmann. It engages the viewer with its interesting architecture and the multitude of decorative finishing. The projecting elements of the front wall pillars are decorated with allegoric figures and the relief above shows a pheasant, a miner and a steelmaker. The top used to be crowned with a 2m clock tower, which was struck down as a result of a powerful explosion, which occurred in close proximity to the building in spring of 1945. The approach of Aleksander Zawadzki, who was the administrator of Silesia and Dąbrowa at that time, and his deputy – Jerzy Ziętek, was of immense importance to the reconstruction and renovation works of the ruined building. With their help and significant contributions made by the City Council, the building has been in operation again, since 30 August 1946, and was donated to the School of Social-Economic Sciences, then the Karol Adamiecki School of Economics, and today – the University of Economics in Katowice.
By 2011, the municipality building used to house the Rector’s Office and the administration of the University. Then, it underwent a general renovation, in order to modernise the interior and the facade, and recreate the appearance that Hartmann intended it to have before the war – including renovating the ruined clock tower.
The renovated building of the Rector’s Office was officially opened on 18 September 2018. To celebrate the event, the “Challenges of economic education” scientific seminars were organised with an exhibit of caricatures and portraits of the University Senate members. The reopening of the building of the Rector’s Office was celebrated by guests from the world of business, science and the local government.
Presently, the building of the Rector’s Office of the University of Economics in Katowice is one of the most impressive buildings on the city map. Except for its office function and representative quality, the building was adopted to serve as the centre of relations with the business, and social and political community (Business-Science-Local Government) and a cultural centre – bringing benefits to the University, the city and the region. The building is also a part of the new spatial management plan of the Campus of the University of Economics in Katowice.