About the programme
The main goal of the International Business programme is to prepare a professional ready to work for internationalised organizations.
International Business programme offers a unique opportunity to continue business studies in the international context, with solid grounding in economics, law, finance and management. Building on Students’ previous Bachelor’s education, the Master’s programme in International Business shall help them develop skills and knowledge providing a stronger foundation for career in business and management aiming at managerial positions in internationalized companies.
The content and structure of the programme is also meant for people of non-economic educational background, e.g. graduates from studies in social sciences, linguistics, mathematical or technical sciences, who wish to complement their education with knowledge of international economy and business and cross-cultural competences.
During the third semester of studies there is a possibility to decide about the path of own specialisation. Students may choose between a Corporate Module of elective subjects, that constitutes the advanced level of international business teaching, aimed mostly at the undergraduates of economics and management, and a Cross-culture Module directed at alumni of social and humanist degree programs.
When graduating from the Master's Degree Programme in International Business a person should have a developed set of competences applicable for self-employment and for taking operational and managerial positions in companies functioning in international and multicultural environment. Depending on individual curriculum based on obligatory programme and elective subjects and seminars, graduates shall be valuable employees for internationalized companies, working as specialists in general management, corporate finance, marketing, brand management, PR and communication or human resources management. They shall also be prepared for work in international research and consulting agencies, advertising and PR agencies, head-hunting companies or get employed by non-profit organizations of international scope and public institutions, including UE and international administration.
During studies the Students develop own life-long learning capabilities and team work competences. They have a great deal of chances to try themselves in a multicultural environment and carry out projects in cooperation with colleagues coming from different countries. Working within a culturally diverse environment and in direct contact with representatives of other cultures during the course, International Business study fosters building attitudes of cultural sensitivity and cultural intelligence of students, which is a key advantage for people planning careers in international business. The program’s content allows the Student to form a socially responsible attitude implementing the principles of socially responsible business in economic life.
The courses of the IB program are blocked within the semester – after 7 weeks of studying one part of the subjects and passing the inter-semester session, students go on to study the next part. Such intensification of education fosters concentration on the subject, increases the chance to achieve the intended learning outcomes, and provides students with greater comfort during the exam session.
The structure of the course facilitates international mobility of Students, encouraging Their participation in University’s exchange offer or short-term international events abroad. Students are widely invited and have a broad range of possibilities to try themselves and gather international experience.
The language of instruction is English, together with master thesis seminar and thesis. Moreover the programme offers separate courses of two foreign languages at different levels. The Students may select classes of German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Polish or English – 4 hours a week / 6 semesters, each of two courses, which is a great chance to develop international communication skills.
The studies are aimed at acquiring knowledge and competences by the students in the areas concerning:
- strategic management
- marketing management
- business forecasting
- business information systems
- corporate social responsibility
management of an internationalized company
- international economics and finance
- international business law
- international business strategy
- cross culture management
- international marketing and marketing research
- international human resource management
- international communication and language skills
corporate strategies of international companies
- business analysis and valuation
- building effective international business models
- international growth through alliances, mergers and acquisitions
- international competition and innovation
- leadership skills for management of cross-cultural organizations
cross cultural management
- differences and similarities in consumer behavior on foreign markets
- integrated marketing communication on international markets
- brand management on international markets
- effective communication and the use of media on international markets
- intercultural skills for effective cooperation, virtual teams and management
The graduates have knowledge:
- concerning the broad set of topics in the field of the functioning of global economy and national economies in international context,
- about the field of international business regarding the functioning and development of economic organizations in international and global environment - primarily large enterprises and transnational corporations, including the ones functioning in capital groups;
- about legal and financial aspects of international economy and business
- about international companies’ business models and their international growth and competitive strategies
- concerning consumers’ behavior and the ways of communicating with consumers in the process of company’s brand management on international markets
- about the impact of national and organizational cultures on international business and cultural differences management
- of sustainable growth and corporate social responsibility concepts and their meaning for global economy.
The graduates are able to:
- interpret knowledge possessed in order to use it practically for description and analysis of complex problems in the field of the company's international operations in global markets;
- actively participate in complex decision-making processes relating to the functioning of the organization in a networked, international and intercultural environment;
- critically select the data and methods of analysis and the respective knowledge to research and interpret the motives, forms and outcomes of international activities of enterprises, institutions and organizations,
- evaluate the risks and effects of realized strategies and activities of internationalized organizations;
- formulate problems and solve them with the use of knowledge and competences from within and outside the organization (e.g. including specialists in international business consulting, research and business service companies);
- learn, which allows to solve complex and multidimensional research problems independently and in a team using modern methods and tools for obtaining and processing information;
- use their extensive professional abilities in written and spoken English in the field of international business (C1 level of the European System of Language Description) and to use professionally at least one foreign language other than English;
- understand professional and social obligations related to functioning in a multicultural environment.
By the end of the programme the students shall present:
- entrepreneurial attitude and mindset enabling the active participation in decision-making processes of organization operating in a networked, international and intercultural environment;
- the awareness of ethical values, social responsibility of the organization and personal professional and social obligations of people operating in a multicultural environment together with the readiness to prevent negative attitudes towards other cultures;
- the awareness of the value of diversity and personal readiness to operate within multicultural, diverse teams with respectful attitude towards the Others;
- consciousness about the necessity of learning and personal development throughout life.
After graduation, it is possible to work as:
- entrepreneur - owner of a company operating on foreign markets
- self-employed specialist in foreign trade
- self-employed consultant of international management
- marketing / finance / accounting / human resources or PR manager in an internationalized company
- foreign trade / export-import department manager in a company
- strategy consultant in international business consulting company
- specialist or manager in a non-profit organization operating in international environment
- international management issues specialist in public administration offices
- researcher of international business area at public and private universities and in research agencies
Examples of companies and institutions in which students can work after graduation:
- small and medium enterprises of different industries operating on international markets
- export / import companies
- multinational companies’ marketing and sales subsidiaries
- multinational companies’ production and logistics subsidiaries
- domestic companies co-producing for foreign partners
- domestic companies subcontracting professional services for foreign partners – call centres, IT services centres, accounting and HR services centres
- professional intermediaries in international trade – foreign trade agents, brokers, distributors,
- international trade services companies – logistic, warehousing and shipping companies, customs warehouses, tax and customs advisors,
- international trade finance and risk management companies
- foreign trade consulting companies
- international marketing and brand management services companies
- advertising agencies of international scope
- international management and strategy consulting companies
- international head-hunting agencies
- international business facilitating institutions, e.g. regional, national, international chambers of commerce, international business organizations and clusters
- non-profit organizations of international scope of activities
- international affairs public institutions
- European Union, United Nations and similar international administration offices
- universities and research agencies.
Teaching methods and scientific staff
All the courses within the International Business bachelor program are taught in English by both Polish and foreign lecturers actively involved in research in the area of international business. Students are also invited to hear from practitioners running or working for international business companies and institutions.
In teaching the emphasis is put on practical knowledge and usage of interactive teaching methods that require personal engagement. Lecturers promote active learning tools like workshops, simulations, case studies, research projects and problem-based learning. A lot of attention is also paid to development of interpersonal capabilities and public speech competences through debates, discussions and presentations. In order to be prepared for the requirements of distant cooperation and virtual team work Students are invited to use technology enhanced learning tools enabling remote work and e-learning. Cross-cultural competences are developed during in-class workshops but also through participation in international educational projects as Markstrat, X-Culture, Erasmus + Intensive Programmes and others.
There is a requirement for mandatory internship in a internationalized company as well as governmental or NGO institution engaged in international activities. Internship’s purpose is to offer the student the opportunity to:
- get practical experience within the international business environment,
- gain a more complete understanding of various international business issues,
- obtain the ability to analyze and propose solutions to international business problems,
- develop capabilities for work in multicultural environment,
- understand the activities of international business professionals and develop understanding about personal career options in international business,
- help in defining student’s career goals.
The internship is designed to take 12 weeks, with the minimum number of 25 on-the job hours a week (300 hours/10 ECTS points total). The internship may take place in Poland and/or abroad.
The IB program gives students the opportunity to test themselves in the international environment through active participation in:
- international teaching and research projects, e.g. X-culture, Markstrat (conducted with the participation of students, teachers and companies from across the world),
- trips within international student mobility programs,
- everyday team work with foreign students,
- participation in classes conducted by lecturers from foreign universities,
- learning from practitioners on lectures and internships.
The students may undertake studies and 3-month internship abroad within the Erasmus and other international cooperation programs (e.g. CEEPUS) – UE Katowice collaborates with almost 200 higher education institutions from Europe, the United States, Canada, China, India and other countries.
Graduates and students about the programme
Students opinions from anonymous surveys concerning IB programme and teaching quality and their personal experience:
“IB is different than other studies! brings a lot of chances to develop”
“I am already working, I am sure IB will help me enhance my professional competences and strengthen my chances in search for a good job”
“Opens the doors for new opportunities, gives you language skills and international experience”
“It is a new, forward-looking program. Enables professional activity on the international arena “
“Gives you an opportunity to cooperate closely with foreign students “
“Combination of knowledge and languages – a chance for work in transnational corporations”
“Gave me knowledge and more open attitude”
“Gives a chance for practical learning and emphasizes language learning”
“Hard economic knowledge combined with cross-cultural skills”
“Studies plus two foreign languages – great advantage! Suits me as I wish to learn languages and other cultures”
“I am interested in working abroad – IB will increase my chances”
“Good chance to learn professional English on a level necessary to work in international company”
“Fine mixture of studying and travelling opportunities thanks to languages learning and broad foreign exchange programs”
“My colleagues confirm that IB enhances chances for interesting job abroad and at home”