Information about the Library
Short history of the Library
The beginnings of the Library are connected with the activity of the private Higher School of Social and Economic Sciences established in Katowice in 1937. In the first years of its existence, it did not have its own library. The students benefited from the Library of the Silesian Sejm (now the Silesian Library) and the Library of Silesian Technical Scientific Departments.
Lack of housing conditions and funds to employ a permanent library employee meant that in mid-1938 the Studium was not able to take over even in the form of a gift from the book collection of the Silesian-Dabrowa Branch of the Polish Statistical Association. It took place only in 1939, when a modest book collection was created for teaching purposes only.
During the occupation, these collections, as well as the entire documentation of the Library were dispersed. No data concerning the size of the first book collection and its use have been preserved. When the University was reactivated in 1945, the library collection began to be collected from scratch. The first books came from the Library of Secured Collections in Katowice and Poznań, as well as from an antiquarian purchase. In 1948 the University was nationalized and renamed the State Higher School of Economic Administration, and two years later (1950) - in accordance with the regulation of the Council of Ministers - the Higher School of Economics. At that time the library took the name of the Main Library of the Higher School of Economics in Katowice.
Until 1967 it was located in the historic building of the former town hall in Katowice Bogucice at 1 Maja 50 Street, which was the seat of the University's authorities. In 1968 it was moved to the didactic building at 3 Bogucicka Street, where it has been located since then.
In 1974, after the University of Economics was renamed to the Academy of Economics, the Library changed its name accordingly. Since 1972, the patron of the University has been Karol Adamiecki, co-founder of the science of organization and management. As the years passed, its tasks in the field of didactics and scientific research expanded, and this was followed by the need to adapt its activities to new needs. In 1945 it was transformed from a single division unit with a 3-person team into an organizational unit with five branches and a 50-person team. Its usable area also increased (from 126 to 1253 square meters).
Since 1 October 2010, the name of the Karol Adamiecki Academy of Economics in Katowice has been changed to the University of Economics in Katowice.
The activities of the Library are defined by such legal acts as: the Act on Libraries of 27 June 1997, the Act on Higher Education of September 2005 and the statutes of the University of Economics in Katowice. The library is a general university organizational unit with scientific, didactic and service tasks. As a public scientific library, it is also a link of the national library and information network. Together with faculty libraries, it forms a uniform information network of the University. The Main Library is managed by the Director with the participation of the Library Council. The library reports to the Vice-Rector for Science, Research and Development of the Academic Staff.
Since the academic year 2012/2013 the Main Library of the University of Economics has been operating (together with the Library of the University of Silesia) in the Scientific Information Centre and Academic Library at 11 Bankowa Street in Katowice.